Youth Center suffers temporary setback
The Youth Empowerment Center, a project that has been pushed vigorously by Mayor Judy Kennedy, suffered a temporary setback Monday when the City Council, on a 3-2 vote, tabled the resolution.
Kennedy made a futile try to change the vote of Councilman Curlie Dillard, but Dillard stood firm, casting the deciding third vote to table.
Councilwoman Gay Lee started the ball rolling by making the motion to table and Deputy Mayor Regina Angelo agreed. Angelo said she was concerned that the project was under-funded with just $5,000 earmarked to initially support the project.
Dillard promised proponents of the center dedicated to youth programs that the resolution will be back before the council at its next regular meeting after his concerns are answered.
Dillard said he was confused over stipulations for utilities and wants some questions about the program answered.
Among other actions, the council:
- Authorized release of restrictive covenants on a deed issued to Armando Caballero on property at 202 Broadway;
- Authorized the interim city manager to accept a grant from the State of New York Division of Criminal Justice that will support the hiring of three police officers and a crime analyst and provide other police support. It is the 10th year the city has received the grant;
- Authorized the city manager to apply for and accept if granted an inter-municipal agreement with the County of Orange for the 2013 Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance program;
- Authorized agreement with the 105th Security Forces Squadron, Stewart Air National Guard, for supportive services;
- Authorized the expenditure of $8,000 for closeout of the Twenty-First Century Learning Center Grant. The city manager was asked to find out why the grant wasn’t renewed;
- Authorized the city manager to execute a contract with Barton and Loguidice for professional engineering services for emergency trunk sewer line repairs at a cost not to exceed $690,000;
- Authorized the increase in Civil Service Examination fees from $40 to $50;
- Approved a resolution authorizing the award of a bid for a contract with DN Tanks Inc. in the amount of $1,983,720 for the Marne Avenue Water Storage Tank Replacement project.
By ALLAN GAUL