Historic Sites & Museums
Brick House Museum. Route 17K, Montgomery. Brick House was built in 1768. Come and see how seven generations of the Nathaniel Hill Family lived. Sat. – Sun. 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mid May through Sept. 6. Last tour at 3 p.m. 615-3833
The Captain David Crawford House. 189 Montgomery St., Newburgh. This 1830 Neo Classical Home was the house of 19th century shipping magnate David Crawford. On display are exhibits of mid-19th century furnishings, decorative arts and textiles, Hudson River School paintings and model ships. $5 Open Sundays, 1-4 p.m. or by appointment. Exhibit: Growing Up in Newburgh. This community exhibit, hosted by Russell Lange, tells our story featuring a variety of photographs showing families at Downing Park, during parades, socializing downtown, and many others. 561-2585.
Gomez Mill House. 11 Gomez Mill House Road, Marlboro. 236-3126. Tour Gomez Mill House, the oldest extant Jewish dwelling in North America continuously lived in for nearly three centuries. Wed. – Sun. 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Guided tours at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Hill-Hold Museum. Route 416, Campbell Hall. Visit Hill-Hold museum and see what life was like on a Hudson Valley farm in the 1830s. Mid May –Oct. 4. Hours: Fri. – Sun. 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Last tour at 3 p.m. 615-3833.
Historic Huguenot Street. DuBois Fort Visitor Center, Huguenot Street, New Paltz. 255-1660.
Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum. 94 Broadway (across from City Hall), Newburgh. karpeles.com. View an extraordinary exhibition of some two dozen original manuscript pages and artifacts relating to the development and early history of baseball in the United States during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Exhibit includes documents showing the founding of the National League and original contracts highlighting the extraordinary career of George Herman “Babe” Ruth (1895-1948), who played in major league baseball for 22 seasons from 1914 to 1935. Included are Ruth’s signed 1933 contracts with the Red Sox and the Yankees, as well as a $25,000 deal he signed with the Boston Braves in his final big league season. On display Thur-Sun. May-Aug 2015. Hours: Thurs.-Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sun. Noon – 4 p.m. Admission is free 569-4997.
Knox’s Headquarters State Historic Site, Vails Gate. The elegant 1754 combination English and Dutch style home, of the prosperous merchant miller John Ellison, was one of the longest occupied military headquarters of the Revolutionary War. Continental Army Generals, Nathanael Greene, Henry Knox and Horatio Gates used the house as headquarters, during various periods between 1779-1783.
Locust Grove: The Samuel Morse Historic Site. Route 9, Poughkeepsie. The 150-acre estate of Samuel F. B. Morse includes an Italianate villa designed by Alexander Jackson Davis containing extensive collections of American and European decorative and fine arts. Three miles of carriage roads wind through landscaped grounds, romantic gardens and shady groves. Grounds open 8 a.m. – dusk, weather permitting. Visitor center hours: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Mon. – Fri. Mansion tours leave at 10:15 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 2 p.m., 3:15 p.m. $10, $6 children 6-18. 454-4500.
Maybrook Railroad Museum, Schipps Lane, Maybrook. Open Saturdays and Sundays, 1-4 p.m. 778-7016.
Montgomery Village Historical Museum. Former Methodist church, 142 Clinton St., across from the Fire Museum. Extensive historical artifact display. Hours: Saturdays 1 – 4 p.m. or by appointment. 457-5135.
Motorcyclepedia Museum. 250 Lake St., Newburgh. More than 450 motorcycles are on display. Indian Timeline, Military and Police motorcycles, and Kaizen; an exhibit dedicated to classic Japanese motorcycles. Hours: Friday – Sunday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Admission: $11 adults, $5 children 3-12 Children under age 3 are free. 569-9065.
Mount Gulian Historic Site. 145 Sterling St., Beacon. Tours of the home, Dutch barn and restored garden. A microcosm of U.S. history, hear stories about Native American Indians, early Dutch settlers, Revolutionary War soldiers, and an escaped slave. View Verplanck family heirlooms; artifacts from Revolutionary and Civil Wars and the Society of the Cincinnati, the first veterans’ organization in U.S., formed here in 1783. Wed.-Fri. and Sun. 1 p.m.-5 p.m.; last tour 4 p.m. $8; $6/sr; and $4/ages 6-18. 831-8172.
New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site, 374 Temple Hill Road, Town of New Windsor. New Windsor Cantonment was the final encampment of the northern Continental Army, in 1782-83. Here over 7,000 soldiers and 500 family members endured the winter and prepared for a renewal of the fighting in the spring. Instead peace was proclaimed and after 8 long years of war they returned home. New Windsor Cantonment is co-located with The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor, dedicated to collecting, preserving and telling the story of America’s military wounded or killed in combat.
Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site. Corner of Liberty & Washington Streets, Newburgh. Served as General George Washington’s army headquarters from April 1782-August 1783, his longest stay during the Revolutionary War. First government owned and operated historic house museum in the U.S., which marks the beginnings of the historic Preservation Movement. Birthplace of the Badge of Military Merit, the forerunner of the Purple Heart. “Unpacked & Rediscovered: Selections from Washington’s Headquarters’ Collection” More than 1,300 artifacts are on display including dolls, souvenirs of past wars, local Newburgh history, military weapons and domestic implements. Hours: Fri. – Sat., 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Admission: Adults – $4, Seniors/Students – $3, children 12 and under – free. 562-1195.